Saturday, February 13, 2010

Let's go Racin', folks!!!

Yea!!! It's February, and it only means one thing....besides my b-day.....SPEEDWEEKS at Daytona, culminating in the Daytona 500....This year, the powers that be of racing were kind enough to schedule the first NASCAR race of the season on Valentine's day.......which also happens to be my birthday. Will I be there you ask? HELL YEAH!!!! I will answer!
Hubby and I went to the Gatorade Duels on Thursday, Feb. 11. It was quite chilly at the track, so I decided to crochet myself a pair of fingerless mittens on the way to the track. I started when we pulled out of the driveway and finished two hours later when we parked the car in the free park and ride shuttle lot on Clyde Morris Blvd in Daytona Beach:

For those who do not follow NASCAR, the Gatorade Duels are the 2 150 mile races that decide who will race in the 500 and who will go home. The field consists of 43 drivers; about 50-54 try to qualify for the big race. The pole is decided by who runs the fastest qualifying lap on the previous Sunday. Gatorade duels decide what 43 drivers are going to be in the race, and positions are decided by either your position of finish in the duels or the speed you ran in pole qualifying.
For those of you that haven't guessed, I LOVE NASCAR!! There is nothing like feeling and hearing a pack of 43 cars passing in front of you going 200 mph. The smell of the fuel...the thrill of the passing, the jockeying for positions....it's awesome!!!
Anyhow, by the time the second race started, the temperature had dropped about 10-15 degrees....my hands were cold, and was I ever happy to have those mittens!
Here's a few pics from our adventure:





After the races, we met up with Bob's brother Tom and his SO, Susie......


So, if you have nothing to do on Sunday, Valentine's day, take a look at the race...we will be sitting in the Superstretch (aka, backstretch) near the Budweiser Party Porch..(imagine that!). I root for Tony Stewart, #14 Office Depot/Old Spice car...I have all the gear, and I will be cheering like a mad woman....look for us! Will post more pictures next week!
Until next time, Gentlefolk, start your engines and let's go racin'!!!!!!

No comments: